Just like pick'n'mix, an outfit can sometimes work really well when you mix together a heap of colours, flavours, textures and inspirations. This philosophy of dressing especially works when an item is particularly tricky, or has some kind of negative connotations. The long thigh-high boot for example, is often referred to as the 'hooker boot' thanks to Pretty Woman and, well, many street corners.
However, Anna Dello Russo has taught us that wearing beautifully crafted leather thigh-high boots can actually be rather fabulous, and the Autumn Winter catwalks were full of leathery legs. So, how to we don this tricky trend? The answer is - get inspiration from the '60s, and mix long and short, high and low.
As the boots (we recommend the embroidered elegance of Altuzarra's pair) are so long, you can provide continuity and a cheeky optical illusion by wearing a short Phillip Lim leather skirt, giving onlookers a saucy flash of thigh skin, while covering most of them. Balance out the sexy statement with a roll neck, we love the deep teal colour on this Carven number. Then play around with length again, adding warmth with a Reed Krakoff leather and shearling vest. The shearling adds a new texture, and the stone colour gives a neutral equilibrium to the look.
With the cuts and shapes sorted, you can start adding some warmer tones into your accessories. Chocolate brown in a Tila March messenger bag, and a Rag & Bone winter hat. A flash of rosy red in a pair of Gladys & Pixie gloves and some Linda Farrow round specs complete the look. The fun retro details and varied length layering totally justifies the kinkiness of the boots. This is something that you should dare to wear this winter.
1. Linda Farrow Luxe, Metal and Watersnake Teashade Sunglasses; £449, motilo.com
2. Carven, Mohair-blend Turtleneck Sweater; £350, motilo.com
3. Rag & Bone, Dunaway Felt Hat; £151, motilo.com
4. Reed Krakoff, Leather and Shearling Vest; £3,930, motilo.com
5. 3.1 Phillip Lim, Leather Skirt with Adjustable Zipped Panel; £645, motilo.com
6. Gladys & Pixie, Cashmere Glove; £48, motilo.com
7. Tila March, Ella Messenger Bag; £489, motilo.com
8. Altuzarra, Embroidered Leather Thigh Boots; £1,590, motilo.com