- words by Hannah Slapper, styling by Rebecca Corbin-Murray
Leandra Medine is a New York born and bred, Turkish and Iranian heritage sharing, fashion inspiring and The Man Repeller blog writing genius. Before 2010 she was just an extraordinary girl pretending to be normal. Then one day she and her friends went to Topshop and noticed that all of their favourite clothes and trends were crazy. Whether it was bizarre shapes, mis-matched colour schemes or an ambitious print, the most progressive pieces were the ones that caught their eye. Medine made a joke about them being man-repelling, and lo and behold, her blog was born.
What started out as just a hobby, soon became a style bible for all those girls who found themselves in a similar position. They eschewed the body-con, leggings, neatly matching shoes and bags for, as Medine herself terms it, "harem pants, boyfriend jeans, overalls, shoulder pads, full length jumpsuits, jewelry that resembles violent weaponry and clogs."
The best thing is that Medine manages to look absolutely irresistibly gorgeous in many of her outfits, even more directional ones. You would think this would make everyone jealous and annoyed, but her strikingly honest, down to earth and deeply funny writing just increases her likability.
She now has way over 100,000 followers on Twitter, over 230,000 followers on Instagram (for her 'Manstagrams') and over 60,000 followers on Facebook. People have found her eclectic taste so inspiring that they have offered her collaborations, and she now designs as a part time project, including for brands like Gryphon and her favourite jewellery designer, Dannijo.
Despite her philosophy for 'man-repelling' the opposite sex by wearing whatever the f*&% you want, she actually got married herself last year. She wore a romantic fru-fru Marchesa gown, which was pretty low-key, for her. However she accessorised with a white leather jacket and Superga sneakers.
Many of her fans thought her newly wed bliss would put a damper on her repelling ways, but it has only expanded them. She recently did a shoot for Rag & Bone with her husband, UBS financer Abie Cohen, where she styled him with some irreverent clothes from the brand's menswear collection.
If you want to get on her give-a-sh*t style, then check out her blog, or her book which will be published around April this year. However, if you need a quick inspiration fix for one of Forbes most popular and creative '30 under 30', then here's a montage of some of her favourite things: denim, oversized blazers, baffling jewellery, colour, pastels, floral, block colour, and retro glasses. For desired effect, wear them all at the same time.
1. Stella McCartney, Woven Blazer; £1,035, motilo.com
2. Dannijo, Halsey Beaded Bib Necklace; £450, motilo.com
3. Stella McCartney, Colour-block Chunky-knit Cotton-blend Sweater; £515, motilo.com
4. J.Crew, Keeper Chambray Shirt; £80, motilo.com
5. Pierre Hardy, Colour-block Suede Shoulder Bag; £475, motilo.com
6. Delfina Delettrez, Pearl, Gold and Enamel Lip Ring; £335, motilo.com
7. Nike, Blazer Mid Vintage Shoe; £70, motilo.com
8. Illesteva, ‘Frieda’ Acetate Sunglasses; £170, motilo.com
9. Tom Binns, Neon Crystal Bracelet; £452, motilo.com
10. Isabel Marant, Lucas Printed Cotton Skinny Jeans; £175, motilo.com